Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pissing Into The Wind With A Swollen Face

If you have ever wondered what it might look like... Rudy has offered up a fine example here.



The place pictured above was apparently the scene of the crime that ended up pretty much ruling our day yesterday. Those of you who have known Rudy since the beginning will not be surprised at all to hear that he was stung or bitten by something awful while out on our walk. For those of you who have not known Rudy that long.... allow me to introduce you to the world's most stung dog. Bees, wasps, scorpions, spiders... you name it... he has been stung by it. Why? Because he pokes his nose in to EVERY hole he sees.

Whatever got him yesterday remains a mystery. But it was something nasty. He has never had such a bad reaction. Allow me to display the reaction... (sorry for the bright photo it's the only one I took.)



Please note the enormity of his swollen face. His eyes were swelling shut and his cheeks (do dogs have cheeks?) were like 5 times normal size. He did not seem to be in any pain but I was worried that he would not be able to breath if it kept up or got any worse. So off to the vet we went. They gave him shots of cortizone and an antihistamine. It seemed to do the trick. Today he has been a puking mess and I am not sure if this is from the meds or from the poison of whatever nailed him. But lets just say I have cleaned up many a pile of dog puke today. Hopefully we will have moved on to calmer shores by tomorrow.

I have been working my A.S.S. off getting new stuff photographed to go in to my Etsy store. I am starting to try to get some handmade stuff up in there along with the vintage. I finished this cute crochet cuff with vintage buttons and listed it today. I will embark upon some sewing projects with vintage fabrics this week.

Saturday afternoons have come to mean a regular meet up with Chelle at Cafe Paris. We usually go late afternoon and just hang out talking for awhile. If you would like to see what this looks like I can provide images. Here is what I look like at Cafe Paris...



It has the air of Cirque du Soliel don't you think? Or perhaps the air of a crazy person who also happens to be very excited. Here is what Michelle looks like at Cafe Paris....



Lovely, calm and mysterious. Well... she is not mysterious to me. But I want her to be mysterious to you. Think anything you want to about her... as long as it is packed with danger and intrigue. Our waiter today tried to feed me seafood quiche. I ordered a vegetarian quiche and boy was I surprised when I sank my teeth into a big honkin' stink assed piece of fish. Fish with eggs and cheese. Who the Hell thinks this is a proper way to eat? It was all ok in the end though because he brought me the right quiche out immediately after and also gave me two free cookies. This is exactly how to handle a situation like this with me... free baked goods.

OK. I think that just about caps off this post full of random tidbits of information. Oh... I almost left Billy out. Here is what Billy looks like while I am out eating free cookies with the mystery lady.



He is smiling because A. I am gone for a few hours and B. I will bring him home a slice of cake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Rudy and poor you for having to clean up after Rudy's bad experience

100 Thoughts of Love said...

poor lil dog, he is so cute

Suzanne said...

Glad to see you're looking so much better, but sorry to hear about poor Rudy. When I first started reading your post I thought, "OH MY GOD GET HIM TO THE VET's," and of course you did. Wow, that is one big mess of a dog. Honey, do you know how much that musta hurt? Yikes.

Then I relaxed at Cafe Paris with you. Laughed, enjoyed the vegetarian fair (until I had to spit out the shrimp) and laughed more when I saw your photo juxtaposed with your dear friend's. Only one hell of a confident woman would do that. Brilliant. I like you. You don't know me from Adam, but I like you. So, I'm stickin' around.

I hope Rudy is feeling much better and you too. I also wanted to mention, months ago I accessed your hubby's blog and I think his work is beautiful. I can't paint like him, nor do I try. Also, his dedication is amazing...if I get 2 or 3 paintings done per year, I feel really, really lucky!!!

I met you and our British friend through 1 Pic so long ago and didn't come out of the shadows. I'm glad I have. I've always wanted both of you to know how much I adore your blogs.

Continued good health to all and success of course.

XO Suzanne

Bethany said...

Thanks Suzanne... thanks for the concern over Rudy's disaster. He is totally fine now. Although I am thinking of changing his name to "Hoover." It would be in honor of the fact that he sucks up any and everything laying on the ground as he passes by. His full name could possibly be "Hoover Puker." Because in an hour or so he will usually reject whatever it was he ate off the ground previously. You must be thrilled that I am sharing this information with you.

It's late and it's really somehow all I can think of to say.

I told Billy you dig his paintings. Thanks for taking the time to check them out. :)

Mervyn Gurdrock said...

Hi Bethany and clan,

Sorry to hear about another of Rudy's mishaps. But this is life. Just think how poor his life would be if he didn't go in search of adventures! (I'm trying to make it all sound positive. Not sure I'm succeeding)

This cafe de paris doesn't sound so good. First they give you big bowls of coffee to stick bread in. Then they serve fish in a quiche. This sounds nasty. Maybe it's just a bit too sophisticated for me.

As for your mysterious friend - can I get her number? (only joking - though she is in fact lovely as you say)

I was also cheered by the fact your weather looks about as bad as ours. Except that today the sun has been out along with some daffodils. It is my birthday too. Also, I live about 200 yards from William Wordsworth's house. As I often joke - he's never in! People get bored of this joke but you've never heard it before so that's ok.

L8r dudette.