Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Who Knew?

Not me... that's for sure. I'm talking about this place we have alighted upon here in upstate New York. I booked a spot here (at Letchworth State Park) for just three nights and we are due out on Friday morning and NO we don't have reservations anywhere for Labor Day weekend which means we will be holed up in a Walmart parking lot somewhere near here for three days. PU.)

So anyway... this place is FANTASTIC. ENORMOUS. It's big and good... get my drift? The park runs for like 25 miles North to South along the Genesee River. I was so not ready for the gorges and waterfalls and general awe inspiring views we have encountered here. I mean... have any of YOU ever heard of this place? It's worth talkin' about... people should be shouting about it out in the streets as far as I am concerned. Why don't more people know about this place? We totally stumbled upon it. I'm glad we did but I am bummed that we have to leave on Friday. Let me share some images so you can get a vibe on what I am all cranked up about here...







You really should click through to the larger image on all of those to get the full visual.

Today we hiked about 6 miles along the edge of the gorge which gave a multitude of great views. We obtained a permit to take the kayak out on the river tomorrow. People... I am really excited about this. I mean... imagine being down IN THERE in a kayak? It's gonna be big. The only bummer is that we have to carry the kayak down a steep trail for like a mile to get to the river to put in. This will suck. There is no way around it. The kayak is heavy and awkward to carry. Coming back uphill at the end of a long day of paddling upstream will be pretty rough too obviously. In fact... if you don't want to hear me crabbing about it don't tune back in here any time soon because I am sure I will be peeling off with a serious injury list about this time tomorrow night.

Until then... I leave you with an image of cedar bark. Something to chew on visually. Rudy enjoys it orally. Either way... to chew it or to just gaze upon it... I think it's great stuff.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the picture of the bark!

StefRobrts said...

However crabby you are, report back about the kayak anyway :-) We're going to go test drive one this weekend hopefully. I'm also curious to hear how it's working for Billy as a single. Sorry to hear about the mile-long portage though - you're gonna be hating that!

Bethany said...

Hey Stef... I have not reported in about the kayaking trip because it has not happened yet! We did not go due to crappo weather. We plan to go on Monday and the forecast is good so it should be a sure thing this time.

Billy has gone out a number of times in the kayak by himself to fish and he has had no trouble at all managing it. He can stand up to cast and there is all kinds of room for extra junk to come along with.

I am still dreading that mile walk. I will let you know how it all turns out!