Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Dudes, I am so TIRED.

For real people... I don't know what is up this week but everything is killing me softly. I am so freaking tired. Maybe it is the fog. The fog outside not the fog in my brain. I am used to that particular fog.

Anyway.... I am gonna sling a bunch of pictures at you because I am too brain farty to do much more that that. Upon arrival here in Olema, CA we took off for the Bolinas Ridge Trail which is only about a mile from where we are camping. It is a wicked long trail and it's dog friendly. We did not make it too far because we got a late start so we plan to spend a whole day on the trail before the week is out. Here are a few choice shots from the walk... a few of them photoshopped up for effect.




The next day we drove down to San Rafael to see what that was all about. It turned out to be all about one very car sick dog. The road down to the city was like a tapeworm doing the electric boogaloo so Rudy was primed for some real serious puking. Which he did. We had to pull off to the side of the road and armed with random old napkins scavenged from the glove box I tried to clean hm up. It was not pretty. We figured he could use some fresh air so even though it was raining a steady light drizzle we found a park to walk in. It turned out to be an excellent walk. Forgive me for not even knowing the name of this place.... you can walk for several miles through gorgeous woods in this place. Maybe it was called Barbian Park? I dunno...






After the walk we stumbled in to a Thai place in Novato, CA and pigged out while Rudy slept it off out in the truck. We had one of the strangest appetizers I have ever had. I wish I had the camera with so I could have shot a pic. It was tempura battered and fried GIGANTIC pieces of taro root, sweet potato and tofu. That was it. Then there was a huge (real) red rose on the plate and some curly cut orange wedges. It looked like fried dinosaur eggs with a bizarre floral side salad. It was dry and it was fried. Somehow we ate it. Why no sauce? Why? Sauce would have made all the difference. Any sauce. Also... this Thai place was playing really cheesy Christmas music. On January 5th. Away in the manger and stuff like this. So it was an odd dining experience at best.

Yesterday we drove down to San Francisco for the day. We left Rudy at home. We had planned to take hm to a doggie day camp in the city but I was afraid he would never make it down there without getting sick again. I am glad we left him because Hwy 1 from Olema down to the Golden Gate is no joke. Billy and I were both still dizzy for like an hour after we crossed the bridge in to the city. We kept our day short so the boober would not be left at home alone for too long. We went to the de Young museum of fine art first. I was SO excited to go there because they are hosting an Yves Saint Laurent exhibit there that will not be showing anywhere else in the United States. IT. WAS. AWESOME. The bloody bastards would not allow any photos to be taken in the exhibit or I would now be filling this page with images from the show. The reason they do not allow photos (I am guessing) is because they sell a book in the museum shop with images of the entire show for $50. If you want pics you have to buy their stinkin' book. I passed on it but I did get myself an YSL coloring book. It has 20 different drawings of his designs that you get to color in yourself. Big fun. A few of the highlights of the show was seeing this piece in person...



Because you don't see that everyday now do you? And they had my safari jacket on display.... the one I sold on eBay back in the spring for a tidy sum. Seen here on the model to the left....




I kinda sorta wish I had kept the damned thing. Not that I would have worn it.... but just to have it. It is museum worthy people. And I sold it. Sigh. Anyway.... they had just an amazing array of his designs from every era and collection. Here is an image I stole off the web of a few of the pieces in the show....


If you are in or around San Fran and have an interest in iconic fashion, vintage or just plain beautiful design it is well worth the price of admission to see this show. Go, go go.

We wandered through most of the rest of the museum rather quickly and then headed on over to Russian Hill to find a late lunch. We parked on Polk St. and I was immediately sucked into a shop called Favor. Ohhhhhh.... Favor. Dangerous stuff it is. It is the home of Hotcakes Design and I love their stuff. I splurged and bought myself one of their carved, hand cast resin rings. It features an image of a porcupine which suits me quite well I think.



We ate at the Bay Bread Boulangerie on Polk and it was fast, cheap and really good food. They have great coffee and a fabulous bakery. They had a good assortment of authentic macarons so I got some pistachio, vanilla and plum to bring home. And then we hit the road to come come.





We pulled off to grab the requisite shots of the Golden Gate looking back at the city.




And we took Hwy 101 home because there was no way either of us would have been able to stand 1 with a full stomach and a tired brain. It's a longer drive but Lord it was worth it.

Today we laid low for most of the day and then drove out to the beach on Point Reyes for a late afternoon walk and to watch sunset. I will post pics in a day or two.

Billy is contemplating having me chop off his long hair tonight. So you have that to look forward to. A possible hairstyle fashioned by me.... on Billy's head. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no......I remember the last time you tried your hand at hair cutting.
Billy beware

Anonymous said...

What a freaking awesome idea for a blog! And now I am totally coveting that ring too...