Friday, June 19, 2009

It's an Apricot Granola Tart Thing!

Yeah. You can't leave me at home alone all day (Billy worked at the park today while I stayed home sick) and not have me hit the kitchen out of boredom at some point. My sore throat did not stop me from sitting here eyeballing a big bowl of fresh apricots that needed to get used up and quick before they all went to mush. Pretty soon the apricots were lookin' back at me like "You gonna do somethin' or WHAT?" So I pulled out my two tart pans and mixed up a batch of granola-esque dough stuff (how do you like that for technical terminology?) and mixed up the apricots with fresh blueberries and a bunch of spices like cardamom, cinnamon and ginger and stuck the whole mess in the oven.





The base for this thing is a cup of mixed almonds, walnuts and pecans
1 cup of 5 grain cereal
1 cup of wheat flour
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 cup of ginger syrup
a pinch of sea salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger

I ground the nuts and the 5 grain cereal up in my food processor until it was a chunky meal consistency. Then I added the other stuff in and mixed it until it was fully combined and spread it in the tart pans. Easy. The apricots are in a base of about three tablespoons of apricot preserves, a tablespoon of ginger syrup, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg. I baked at 350 for about 25 minutes (but my oven is whacked... everything takes longer than it should in a normal oven.) The end result is a very breakfast-y type item. It would be great served with a dollop of yogurt on top. Or vanilla ice cream. Or ginger ice cream... or cardamom ice cream... or any damned ice cream really. You get the picture...

Now we shall see if Billy is brave enough to eat my germy, sickie tart. If he chickens out then I get the whole lot to myself. Just what I need.

2 comments:

jani said...

YUM! I say vanilla ice cream for sure!

TravelingGrammy said...

So, did it taste as good as it looked?