Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Canoe Shopping Shut Down


We have been discussing the idea of getting kayaks or a canoe for a few months now. After having use of the one here at Silver Lake for the past few days we have decided it's a go... and because of Rudy we have decided a canoe would be easier than kayaks. We got all jazzed up to drive back over to Freeport, Maine to the flagship store for LL Bean tonight and buy our shiny new red canoe but found out it just ain't that easy. Because of the topper on the bed of our ginormous truck we have to get a special rack installed before we can haul a canoe. Bummer. At least I found out before we drove all the way to Bean's. I am hoping I can find a place in Brattleboro, VT to have this done and then maybe we can buy the canoe there as well while staying there two weeks from now. I am still gritting my teeth a bit over being robbed of the instant gratification canoe I was in such anticipation of earlier today. LL Bean needs to take it to the next level and set up a shop to do this kind of stuff right there on the spot. I mean... they are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year at that store... they may as well *really* be full service.

We had a really great day today. The weather was perfect and we spent the whole morning paddling around the lake and up river. We both tried fishing on and off for the rest of the day but with no success. I have not caught a fish since I was a kid. If I were to catch one now I may not handle it so well. I really have no business fishing. I am a vegetarian and I don't even care for fish (as a food item that is ...as fellow inhabitants of the Earth I think they are great people.) But I have a weird deep seeded obsession with trying to catch fish. I love *the idea* of fishing. Not so much the idea of wrenching sharp hooks in mouths... but the whole atmosphere which surrounds the fisherman and his efforts. So... that said... wish me luck that I DON'T catch a fish. Because it will be a very upsetting scenario of I do. Better that I just toss the rubber bait thing around and snaggle it on plants and junk under the water. Yes.

In closing for tonight here are a few lovely photos from our canoe trip up river this morning...




No comments: